The RAISE 2020 summit kicked off on October 5th, with a powerful speech by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, highlighting the importance of responsible AI and the future of India. Before we get into the speech and the key takeaways from it, lets pause for a minute.
What exactly is the RAISE summit?
Back in June India along with the USA, Germany, UK, France, Canada and New Zealand collectively formed a group called GPAI- Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence. The partnership focuses on the responsible development of AI.
In conjunction with this India launched RAISE, the first digital summit to address the future of AI and how it can be harnessed for social empowerment. RAISE stands for Responsible AI for Social Empowerment, and its a five day global digital summit where in companies, leaders and thought thinkers will come together to discuss, debate and explore the future of AI and its impact on society.
The summit started on 5th October 2020 and was kickstarted by a powerful speech by Prime Minister Narendra Modi who addressed the state of India and AI. Here are some key takeaways from the speech:
- The speech emphasised on how the union of AI and human intellect can do wonders for the planet, also addressing that while AI is important; human creativity and emotions will be the driving qualities to enhance and improve the efficiencies and application of AI.
- Algorithm transparency and data privacy was touched upon, focus on the need for strict regulation to ensure that the power of AI is being channelled for good social and economic purposes.
- It further went on to discuss the “AI for Youth” program launched earlier this April, which has educated over 11,000 kids in the basics of AI, who are now set to work on their own AI projects.
- The speech reiterated the importance of AI, and the desire to drive India to the forefront of the AI movement in the coming years.
- This movement is being pioneered by the emphasis on inclusion of technology in education through programs like the National Educational Policy and the new National Educational Technology forum formed to accelerate digital infrastructure and growth via content and educational packages being made available in regional dialects.
- The speech highlighted the benefits/ growth potential that AI poses for different industries like Edtech, agriculture, healthcare and smart mobility and the impact the potential this has to boost social development.
What does this mean?
The world is heading fast into a digital revolution, one where data is currency and businesses will thrive on technology. With a population of over a billion, the Prime Minister wants India to be at the forefront of this revolution by embracing upcoming technology and find ways to embrace it rather than fear it.
If anything the RAISE summit just reiterates how AI and technology should not be looked at as foes, but instead as tools to enhance and harness the power of human intellect and emotion to drive and accelerate social and economic growth.
The 5 day summit will go on to discuss more on solutions towards social and economic problems through AI.
To power your own workflows with AI, messaging, APIs and automation get in touch with Quickwork and accelerate your journey to seamless integrations. Subscribe and stay tuned with Quickwork to keep up with the latest in technology.
Catch the entire speech here: