Agriculture industry is the most essential of all and with climate change and environmental stress coupled with the problem of growing population, the stress on the industry is higher than ever. Farmers across the globe are finding sustainable methods of increasing yield and productivity to deal with the growing demands. Optimizing the agricultural supply chain could help deal with pressing issues like world hunger.
What does the future of agriculture look like?
The future of agriculture can be scary when imagined without technology at its core to spearhead it. This is because without technology, you wouldn’t be able to optimize the supply chain, which essentially means an increase in the gap between demand and supply for food. Technology on the other hand, can help revolutionize the agricultural industry and boost connectivity, here’s how:
- Keeping a track of the crops: With the help of integration farmers can connect applications to get important data on weather, irrigation, nutrients, and other systems that makes it easier and more accurate for them to predict crop behavior, meaning lesser wastages. Smart monitoring can also help farmers optimize their harvest window, farmers can also monitor certain qualities of their crop for maximizing revenue.
- Energy efficient: Internet of Things or IOT devices can help farmers optimize their energy consumption by using energy only when needed, this is done by tracking the crops.
- Streamline the supply chain: Technology makes it easier for price transparency and quality discovery. It allows for farmers to explore all market choices and improves farmer/buyer interactions.
- Reduced wastages: With blockchain companies focusing on connectivity; technology will be able to bridge the gap of supply and demand, by connecting farmers from underdeveloped countries with the demand for produce overseas, this will lead to lesser wastages worldwide.
- Chatbots: Farming is a highly technical job role demanding great knowledge, with the help of messaging and chatbots, farmers across the globe will be able to share farming secrets, tips and information much more easily, chatbots can help structure the vast expanse of information, making it easier for farmers to pull out information as and when necessary.
- Data driven farming: With the access to information being properly channeled, farming will have a much more predictable and structured approach going forward. Pre determining factors like soil potency, seed health, etc. will help in assessing the results beforehand.
How Will Digital Farming Help Boost Agriculture Practices?
Technology and a digital first approach to farming, will aid in spearheading the movement of sustainable farming. It will open the gate to innovation, allow farmers to maximize their production by predictive analysis, knowledge sharing and better optimization through limited resources. Digital also opens the door to connectivity; this means farmers will be able to access government aid, wider markets and explore a wider spectrum of opportunities.
Farming will also become highly data driven, there’s a plethora of information available but finding accurate sources to apply this information to test is the key to success. The Agritech industry is booming with applications that assist farmers in retrieving data relevant to their farming practices, this data helps farmers analyze and pre-determine weather conditions, crop behavior and other factors. This means lesser wastages and a more optimized approach to increasing crop yields. Overall the Agritech industry will see a more collaborative and creative growth in farming practices, and the future of farming will be easily influenced by technological innovation, changing a farmers job role from purely agricultural, to a mix of farming and technology oriented.
To know more about Agritech and digitally transforming your business, get in touch with us.